From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] REVDEP-REBUILD and emerge default options
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:54:39
1 On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 22:23 +0300, Arthur D. wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > Just press ctrl-c and enjoy scrolling. Then run again. No too user
5 > friendly.
6 > You don't like that behaviour? Just add the desired options to command like
7 > parameters. You don't like adding options explicitly? Hey, that's Gentoo,
8 > just make
9 > a wrapper script and be happy ;-)
10 >
11 > I wrote a letter Paul Varner, reporting him about that bug. And what did
12 > he answer?
13 > That's a feature, not a bug. "We purposely do not honor
14 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS because not
15 > to do so will break revdep-rebuild in unexpected ways"
16 > Ok. There is easy, dumb and stupid way of fixing that - just filter out
17 > harmful options.
18 >
19 > I suggested my help in developing the script. I asked him what options
20 > will break things...
21 > No answer. 12 days left.
22
23 I apologize for the not responding. I actually thought I had but
24 apparently did not. Anyhow real life has me swamped right now, so I
25 can't give you an exact answer on what breaks and what doesn't break.
26 However, any option which can change the ordering of the packages can
27 break the rebuild of the packages and if it does will result in bugs
28 being filed against revdep-rebuild.
29
30 I am very much against allowing EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in revdep-rebuild
31 since I went through hell trying to support it when it was first added
32 as a feature to portage and I really don't want to go through that
33 again.
34
35 Regards,
36 Paul