From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Current portage well designed, but badly used
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:32:32
1 Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
2 > Talking about metadata, why does HOMEPAGE and DESCRIPTION are in
3 > ebuilds and not in metadata.xml, IMHO they're not used to build the
4 > package in any way. Maybe if we move those (always filled)
5 > information to metadata.xml, people would fill other fields there.
6
7 HOMEPAGE and DESCRIPTION have been in ebuilds for a *long* time where
8 metadata.xml is a fairly recent addition.
9
10 > Also, you said that this is irrelevant to the portage application, but
11 > to the portage tree. Where can I talk to portage tree maintainers? If
12 > I need to patch the entire portage with metadata.xml and stuff like
13 > that, it will be an huge work, but if portage maintainers ask the
14 > package maintainers to do it for next releases, many people would do
15 > small jobs, easier than small group doing many jobs.
16
17 Almost every dev is a portage tree maintainer. There is no master tree authority
18 that all ebuilds must pass through before hitting the tree.
21 Andrew Gaffney
22 Gentoo Linux Developer
23 Installer Project
26 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list