From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [rfc] variable naming for marking binaries as QA ignorable
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:14:33
1 On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:46:25 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 05 March 2006 19:48, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
5 > > This could be done via the profiles, perhaps - package.qa, something
6 > > like package.mask/use/keywords:
7 >
8 > i hate such things ... imo this information should stay in the ebuild
9 > and nowhere else ...
10
11 I was thinking that the data would be "owned" by the QA team rather
12 than the package maintainers. I appreciate your pov, however.
13
14 There may be benefit in being able to set it differently for each
15 profile; for example a hardened (PaX NOELFRELOCS) profile might always
16 have QA_TEXTRELS set empty (i.e. anything with TEXTRELs would fail to
17 install, as it'd fail to run anyway). However package maintainers in
18 general aren't going to like yet more special-casing for the
19 non-mainstream profiles.
22 Anyway, that aside - if you're going for a QA_<feature>_<arch> naming,
23 you could use QA_<feature> where there's no arch difference, supplying
24 others where necessary such that if QA_<feature>_<arch> exists
25 it takes precedence over QA_<feature>. Otherwise you'll end up
26 adding a whole set of variables to all affected ebuilds. Admittedly
27 there aren't that many of them so it may not be worth the hassle.
28
29 Heh - here's another idea for you to hate:
30
31 QA_OVERRIDE="EXECSTACK=...
32 x86? ( TEXTRELS=... )"
35 Kevin F. Quinn