From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Naming Conventions
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 04:13:26
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:25:01 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Chris White wrote:
8 > > 1) Create aliases to the new functions, then at some
9 > > yet-to-be-determined point, kill the aliases and bomb on the scripts
10 > > (this suffers from procrastination).
11 > >
12 > > 2) Make an official release with the new function names and no
13 > > aliases, as well as the soon to come docs. I sort of like this
14 > > method because those with official portage tools can adjust their
15 > > scripts, and simply alter the depend atoms for >= (new API
16 > > versions) and <= (old versions), effectively forcing/preventing
17 > > upgrades.
18 >
19 > I vote for #1 because it's smoother and easier (which is good for me
20 > especially because I do releases). The disruptive change proposed in
21 > #2 seems like it would cause unnecessary problems with no practical
22 > advantage over #1.
23
24 combination of both.
25
26 Phase one: change function names and add aliases
27 Phase two: make the aliases generate warnings
28 Phase three: drop the aliases
29
30 Maybe combine phases one and two.
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.