From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: sync suggestions [was Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 00:37:18
1 On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:50:18PM +0200, tvali wrote:
2 > Another question now is about sync.
3 >
4 > I did read somewhere, that this is not good user behavior to sync more
5 > than once per day. I understand that as if this is a huge download
6 > even if there is nothing changed.
7 >
8 > Isnt it nice idea to have this database just optimized?
9 >
10 > I mean (assuming portage using SQL now) -- that would be really simple
11 > to log every change in portage tree as series of SQL queries, which
12 > would reproduce this change.
13
14 Pushing the delta (what you're suggesting) is only usable if it can be
15 guranteed the user hasn't modified their tree at all (thus resulting
16 in cache db differing from upstreams).
17
18 That right there is the brass tacks of it; You wouldn't be able to
19 push just the changes, you would have to regenerate the _whole_ db
20 (slow, >20k inserts assuming only one table).
21
22 Sidenote... please post seperate threads for seperate
23 ideas/discussions, else it's damn hard to look back and pull the
24 specific thread were something was discussed.
25 ~harring