From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:45:47
1 On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:20:12 +0200
2 Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/07/17 20:11, Jonas Stein wrote:
5 > > It would be so motivating to see that many user are glad about a
6 > > special package. One gets rarely feedback.
7 >
8 > Interesting idea. We could have some (separate) portage-y helper tool
9 > send a standardised email that could easily be filtered based on
10 > sender and/or topic. 'emerge foo --thank' just thanks people, 'emerge
11 > foo --thank="msg"' thanks people with a msg.
12 >
13 > It's gimmicky and could be abused. But then again perhaps it wouldn't
14 > be abused, and it would just be wholesome fun. Maybe someone would
15 > meet their future lover via the thank-parametre.
16 >
17 > What do you think?
20 We had a past GSOC project that ended up with a decent start to a stats
21 system. I know I had hoped for (and suggested) a survey system for it.
22 A maintainer could put up a stabilization survey, or some other query
23 about a pkg/version. The people interested could fill it out, the
24 maintainer could get feedback. It would also give estimates of the
25 number of people using the pkg/version (dpends on the number of people
26 with stats enabled).
27
28 There was even a dev that recently tried to get it deployed (again). I
29 volunteered to help. But it never got the vm from it from infra.
30 Infra is not set up to allow root access to a system for only certain
31 systems/devs. So in order to maintain a system, you primarily have to
32 be in the infra team. So, as a result, progress stalls, dies out.
35 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>