From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:15:53
1 On 08/30/05 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:38:16PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > On 08/30/05 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Monday 29 August 2005 22:52, Zac Medico wrote:
7 > > > > Brian Harring wrote:
8 > > > > > Please test this out; if you want to test the EAPI checking,
9 > > > > > tag EAPI=1 into an ebuild, and try making emerge bail.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Well, it bails too often. :)
12 > > > >
13 > > > > It seems that an explicit integer conversion is needed for > and
14 > > > > < comparisons with mixed types
15 > > > > (2.0.51-eapi-awareness-emerge-int-conversion.patch).
16 > > >
17 > > > I don't think it is a wise path to interpret EAPI's as integers at
18 > > > all. There should not be guarantees of forward or backward
19 > > > compatibility between versions. Interpreting them as integers
20 > > > seems to imply that. Basically I think that EAPI could be
21 > > > anything wanted, similar to SLOTS. Of course using digits is easy
22 > > > for humans.
23 > >
24 > > I've to agree with Paul here, portage should hold a list of all EAPI
25 > > values it understands, not a maximum value.
26 > Stable knows of one version- so containment check versus > is moot;
27 > negated values are disallowed for eapi anyways.
28 > Note that the rewrite will do containment tests instead, but rewrite
29 > will also support eapi1 and eapi0 rather then just one.
30
31 Problem is that you then rely on python always evaluating "somestring" >
32 0 as True which I don't think is a good idea (it holds true even for "0"
33 > 0), if you treat 0 as a string you get problems (as some strings are
34 > "smaller" than 0) and you can't convert all strings to ints.
35
36 What's the point of using > anyway?
37
38 Marius
43 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
44 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
45 --
46 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list