From: Markus Walter <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Normaliser function for distfiles
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:32:22
1 On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:14:57 +0200,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 1:37 PM Markus Walter <lists@×××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > My use case is the following: I would like to improve the gs-elpa program
7 > > and provide a precomputed overlay for melpa. However the melpa distfiles are
8 > > rebuilt everyday and cause checksum failures. However the only thing
9 > > changing are the timestamps. Hence if a normaliser program could simply set
10 > > all timestamps to some predefined value (say 1.1.1970) then this problem
11 > > should vanish.
14 > Wouldn't a simpler solution be to just have an ebuild setting that
15 > tells the package manager to not check the timestamp?
16
17 The timestamps are inside archive files thus changing the overall file
18 hash. This happens during distfile download, where some more sophisticated
19 replace all timestamps function would be necessary than just ignoring one
20 timestamp.
23 Markus
26 For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more
27 intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much---the wheel, New
28 York, wars and so on---while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about
29 in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always
30 believed that they were far more intelligent than man---for precisely the
31 same reasons. (Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.)