From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About userpriv usage
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:08:36
1 On 05/27/2012 03:27 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > I have seen today a fixed bug that was only reproducible for people
3 > (like me) running without userpriv (but maintainer didn't found it
4 > before commiting because he was running with this feature enabled), I
5 > have also seen some packages skipping tests when not using userpriv. I
6 > am unsure then, why default is still to not use userpriv?
7
8 I think it's not enabled by default just because there's always risk
9 involved in changing the defaults. I've been using it for years and I
10 don't remember experiencing any problems because of it.
11
12 > I haven't
13 > found important bugs opened pointing regressions but, since it's still
14 > disabled by default, I am still running in the old way instead of using
15 > "userpriv usersandbox" :/
16
17 I plan to send an email to the gentoo-dev mailing list, to ask if there
18 are any objections to having FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" enabled by
19 default.
20 --
21 Thanks,
22 Zac