From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The build system (and install layout) of Portage
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:06:19
1 On 3/17/22 10:22, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > You've probably had the opportunity to hear that a lot has changed
5 > in Python packaging since Portage's setup.py was written in 2014. There
6 > were some minor changes to keep it working since but it's time to
7 > reconsider.
8 >
9 > Long story short, distutils is strongly deprecated, setuptools
10 > deprecated most of the customizations (and we're relying heavily
11 > on customizations), PEP 517 doesn't cover our use cases exactly...
12 > and it's quite likely that sooner or later our build system will fall
13 > apart. On top of that, setuptools is going through a stage of "let's
14 > vendor a new dependency every week", so it doesn't look like a feasible
15 > long-term solution. A large part of the problem is that Portage is
16 > heavily relying on non-Pythonic idioms for installing stuff.
17
18 I wonder if we can rely less on the deprecated customizations somehow.
19 For example, the venv_data_files function in setup.py succeeds in
20 installing a bunch of files in custom locations, and maybe we can rely
21 more on that approach (use it not only for venv installations).
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature