From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Package compression header for binhosts
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:38:09
1 On 06/01/2010 02:22 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > As for zacs tool to try and generate new views of a repository via
3 > hardlinking/recreating the tree... frankly it's a bit of a hack. Via
4 > DEFAULT_URI and relying on the hash, you can make a stable repository that
5 > is able to be updated in place without corrupting ongoing downloads- simply
6 > put, new additions to the repo don't perturb current DL's since the md5 is
7 > the same (hash collision chance is low enough that I don't care about it
8 > here).
9
10 When you say "hash collision" are you talking about
11 http://crosbug.com/3225? Maybe that behavior is acceptable for
12 small-scale private use, but for large scale public repositories I'd
13 say it's totally unacceptable. Eventually, I'd like to see gentoo
14 officially distributing binary packages, so that we'll be able to
15 get a slice of the binary distribution pie. When that happens, we're
16 certainly not going to want to have race conditions like these in
17 our public binhosts.
18 --
19 Thanks,
20 Zac