From: "Rafael Fernández López" <ereslibre@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Suggestion: Backup option in make.conf
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 04:29:07
1 Hi,
2
3 My suggestion for portage is: when you do an "emerge -vuD world", you have
4 to work at the end of the emerging with the /etc config files and see the
5 differences to know if you want to overwrite file by file or not.
6
7 Well, what I want is to have a backup of all them (one backup, and only
8 one). For that goal, it can be used a new option in make.conf like
9 "backup_etc_files=yes" if you want to turn this on.
10
11 By turning this on, an "emerge -vuD world" can be done in one shot, I mean,
12 you can do an emerge -vuD world, and all the files could be replaced
13 (overwrited) by the new ones (etc-update), but you'll be able to access to
14 your backups if anything is wrong, so you don't have to go file by file
15 looking at the differences between them.
16
17 I suggest to name them "whatever.conf" (our original file) ==> "
18 whatever.conf.backup" (our backuped file)
19
20 Thanks,
21 Rafael Fernández López.