From: Michael Lienhardt <michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] erroneous behavior in 2-style USE dependencies?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 21:08:01
1 I'm sorry, my client didn't allow to send plain text email anymore...
2
3 So, here is my original email.
4
5 Dear all,
6
7 My bad for not noticing it sooner, but when there is a dependency like ">=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[static-libs?]" (that occurs in virtual/libgudev-215-r3),
8 since 'static-libs' is not a use flags of sys-fs/udev-242, that cpv is silently not considered during dependency solving by emerge.
9 However, the PMS states:
10 - it is an error for a use dependency to be applied to an ebuild which does not have the flag in question in IUSE_REFERENCEABLE
11 - For EAPIs listed in table 5.4 as not supporting profile defined IUSE injection, IUSE_REFERENCEABLE is equal to the calculated IUSE value. For EAPIs where profile defined IUSE injection is supported, IUSE_REFERENCEABLE is equal to IUSE_EFFECTIVE
12 And 'static-libs' is not in the IUSE_EFFECTIVE of sys-fs/udev-242 (that ebuild has EAPI=6).
13 So it seems to me that this current behavior of emerge should be considered an error, no? Or the PMS should be updated?
14
15 This is related to the tool I'm working on: should my tool allow this behavior, or fail like it is currently doing (I guess the former)?
16
17 Best,
18 Michael