From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: Disable logging during pkg_config (#99527)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:28:57
1 On Wednesday 20 July 2005 15:38, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3 > > When logging is enabled, ebuild output is passed via tee. Running
4 > > anything that checks for terminal type inside of pkg_config therefore
5 > > doesn't work correctly. This patch disables logging during pkg_config
6 > > altogether.
7 >
8 > There was a thread about this recently, and I'm almost certain that my
9 > input was lost in the noise.
10
11 On -dev? I missed (aka skimmed through) most of that.
12
13 > A cleaner way of accomplishing that is to write the ebuild such that
14 > portions which need a terminal either attach to a terminal
15 > (`make menuconfig </dev/tty >/dev/tty`)
16
17 Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work when it comes to multiuser?
18
19 > or simply check for a terminal (`tty -s || die "I need a terminal."`).
20
21 The problem with this is that the only way to get it to work would be to
22 disable logging anyway.
23
24 > I almost never use the `ebuild ... config` feature, but just on general
25 > principle I'd rather the logging capability remain intact.
26
27 Well, `emerge --config atom` was recently added (well, made useful to be
28 specific) and I'm king of hoping that the config functionality of ebuilds
29 will be excercised more in the future, so I'd agree it's important to do it
30 right.
33 Jason Stubbs