From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Conflicting RDEPENDS
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 05:43:07
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted
2 b41005390905312058p314e6e1bnda50488d56ba0800@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 31 May 2009 20:58:27 -0700:
4
5 > On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
6 > <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> I think [trialware install] is an interesting use-case. It would be
9 >> very simple to handle it by introducing an additional file that the
10 >> package manager would use to record the packages that are installed on
11 >> trial-basis. This would make it possible to include these packages in
12 >> dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them from packages that
13 >> are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a local
14 >> virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you
15 >> edit the deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal
16 >> workflow using -1 for trials is working well enough, atm.
17 >
18 > Why is a custom set less convenient?
19
20 I read it as...
21
22 >> [manually] creating a local virtual/trialware package (or possibly
23 >> a @trialware group) of which you
24 >> edit the deps, but this would be less convenient.
25
26 The key word being the one I supplied, "manually".
27
28 IOW, individuals could manually create the functionality currently, but
29 this would be less convenient than if portage shipped with the trialware
30 group functionality, no matter how it was implemented.
31
32 IOW, manual creation isn't as convenient as having it a normal part of
33 portage would be.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman