From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] VDB double reading
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:29:32
1 With the size of the vdb effecting the speed of portage itself and with
2 all the desktop splitting up packages into massively large sets of many
3 ebuilds it's becoming apparent that that some optimizations need to be
4 done.
5
6 strace -o woof -eopen -f python -c 'import portage'
7 grep '/var/db/pkg/sys-apps/portage-' woof
8
9 You will notice that on a simple import that it's reading everything
10 twice. If anybody is up for the challenge of addressing this double
11 reading I think the entire user community would be thankful
12 (or atleast I would be)
13
14 The time it takes to import portage with only 78 pkgs installed takes
15 about 1 second. On the same box in another chroot it takes over 4-5
16 seconds with about 400 packages installed. I hear of some guys that have
17 over 1000 packages installed. That must be a nightmare especially with
18 packages that make heavy use of the portageq command.
21 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
22 Gentoo Linux
25 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list