From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] making aux_get more usable for vardbapi
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:46:18
1 On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:47:11 -0800
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 11:16:03AM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:39:03 -0800
6 > > Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Regex you've got there allows for pulling the wrong text- recall,
9 > > > ebd originally was doing grep based filtering (regex). Had to
10 > > > rewrite that in a major hurry since bash syntax (specifically
11 > > > here ops) forces you to track state/constructs rather then just a
12 > > > regex...
13 > >
14 > > Not really an issue in this case. First the code bails out if more
15 > > than one match is found, so unless the metadata assignment is NOT
16 > > found by it we don't get the wrong info.
17 > > Also a mismatch in this special is so
18 > > extremely unlikely that honestly I don't really care about it,
19 > > especially as this is a one time conversion (might be different if
20 > > I'd have added the on the fly extraction).
21 >
22 > Re-read that statement. It's a one time conversion- meaning we
23 > better get it right the first time, else the user's data is
24 > effectively corrupted. Forcing a full regen from the saved
25 > environment is not a solution for fixing past corruptions either.
26 >
27 > If it were on the fly extraction, I wouldn't care quite as much- but
28 > the fact this is an untracked change to the users data means we *do*
29 > need to cover corner cases.
30
31 Can't follow your thinking here. As said, the code won't corrupt any
32 data, at worst it will tell the user that it couldn't extract some keys
33 (and even that only if there would be such a stupid case which itself
34 has a chance of like 10^-10 or so, or can you name a single case?).
35 Also with on the fly extraction (note: not talking about on the fly
36 conversion here) it would be a more serious problem as it woldn't be
37 time limited.
38
39 > I know you want this in, but it has to be done *right* covering all
40 > known corner cases for it- I already wrote the tool that handles the
41 > corner cases properly, use it, don't adhoc a solution that
42 > re-introduces the potential gaps.
43
44 So what package contains filter-env then?
45
46 > Aside from that, if the code is in debate (as this is), I really
47 > don't think it should get slid into svn 2 weeks later effectively
48 > unchanged- didn't write that original email just for the hell of it :)
49
50 As said, I disagree with your assessment of the situation. If you can
51 name a single case where the code "breaks" or filter-env hits the tree
52 I might reconsider, but not before.
53
54 Marius
59 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
60 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.