From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:06:26
1 Edward Catmur wrote:
2 >> If the package is installed through package.provided, then I agree with
3 >> the *current* Portage behaviour of assuming that all USE flags are on.
4 >> Ya can't blame me for that. It's currently the only sensible choice.
5 >> (Funnily enough, no-one has suggested dying as an option for this).
6 > I would. Pending a proper resolution (USE data in package.provided),
7 > users can set USE in vdb.
8
9 First, having users poke around in vdb is a very bad idea. Doing the wrong thing
10 in there can cause all kinds of weird b0rkage. Second, does portage even consult
11 vdb for a package in package.provided? package.provided was created to *replace*
12 the act of creating a dummy vdb entry (I think that's how it was done, anyway)
13 to fool portage into thinking a package was installed.
16 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
17 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
20 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list