From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Properties of package sets
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 03:16:37
1 Please reply on gentoo-portage-dev, _not_ on gentoo-dev, thanks.
2
3 One missing feature in portage is the lack of package sets. Before we
4 (re)start working on that however I'd like to get some feedback about
5 what properties/features people would expect from portage package set
6 support.
7 Some key questions:
8
9 - should they simply act like aliases for multiple packages? E.g.
10 should `emerge -C sets/kde` be equivalent to `emerge -C kdepkg1 kdepkg2
11 kdepkg3 ...`? Or does the behavior need to be "smarter" in some ways?
12
13 - what kind of atoms should be supported in sets? Simple and versioned
14 atoms for sure, but what about complex atoms (use-conditional, any-of,
15 blockers)?
16
17 - should sets be supported everywhere, or only in selected use cases?
18 (everywhere would include depstrings for example)
19
20 - what use cases are there for package sets? Other than the established
21 "system" and "world", and the planned "all" and "security" sets.
22
23 - how/where should sets be stored/distributed?
24
25 Please reply on gentoo-portage-dev, _not_ on gentoo-dev, thanks.
26
27 Marius
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.