From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Feature request
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:24:43
1 On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:14, Scott Taylor wrote:
2 > Whatever came of comment #14 of bug 28806 - That is something along the
3 > lines of what i'd like to see. In my own network, I have a central
4 > server with its /usr/portage/distfiles available locally by anonymous
5 > ftp. This way, my local mirror has any file used on itself (or
6 > prefetched for my other workstations by way of an emerge --fetchonly).
7 > So, I do have files on this machine that should be checked first,
8 > regardless of whether a build is marked "nomirror". For any network that
9 > has local repositories either ftp/nfs/samba/whatever could find that
10 > useful too. Lists of other groups of mirrors (sourceforge, etc) are also
11 > good things to allow customization on. Its just my luck to want some
12 > huge source that it tries to get from a slow sourceforge mirror on the
13 > other side of the world...
14
15 A stopgap that you could use is to install squid on the server node. Use it as
16 a emerge only proxy. However you MUST make some config changes. Change the
17 used real memory to a low value as it will not have any point for portage
18 (you'll not download things again and again), but REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT
19 is to set the
20
21 maximum size of cached items
22
23 to something that is in the 100 or even 200 mb range. (Standard is 1 mb or
24 something like that, quite pointless for portage). If you give your caching
25 proxy enough cache space it will be quite effective, and it even saves you
26 maintaining the distfiles dir. It also stops the need for different schemes
27 for allowing distfile requests from any host to get onto the master cache.
28
29 Paul
32 Paul de Vrieze
33 Gentoo Developer