From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:34:01
1 On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 07:26, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > We need indeed a highlevel abstraction, and dep trackers are one of the
3 > modules. I think that access to the package tree is another, where caching
4 > can be modular too.
5
6 If by "caching" you mean the metadata cache, this is something I want to
7 eliminate in portage-ng. I would like things to be designed to be fast
8 from the start, with no slow bash<->python linkage like there is in the
9 current portage that makes us require a metadata cache for decent
10 performance.
11
12 It should be possible to get portage-ng without caching running as fast
13 as portage does now when it has a fully up-to-date cache. Then if we
14 need more performance, portage-ng's datastore can be moved to a
15 database, or we can add an enhanced caching mode to make it even faster.
16
17 For backwards compatibility with existing ebuilds, yes we will probably
18 still need the metadata cache since we'll still have some kind of bash
19 linkage. It's important to point out that the design of portage-ng will
20 not be tied to ebuilds. Ebuilds will likely become "legacy" build
21 scripts that are superceded by something a lot better, cleaner, powerful
22 and also faster for portage-ng.
23
24 Regards,
25