From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE_DEFAULTS-v0.1
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:33:48
1 On Wednesday 15 February 2006 16:48, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 14 February 2006 13:44, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >>Well that problem would be, no one wants to modify everything in
5 > >>app-portage/ :). If my portage EAPI is 1, but my tools don't support
6 > >>processing +- in IUSE, how does EAPI help me here? The support check
7 > >>is only for portage_const, so the tool remains fucked. Unless I'm
8 > >>missing something.
9 > >
10 > > Tools should also be EAPI aware. I know too many aren't, but that
11 > > doesn't mean they shouldn't be.
12 > >
13 > > Paul
14 >
15 > I guess my point here is, last I checked we can't pass an EAPI less
16 > than portage_const.EAPI.
17
18 EAPI is not sortable, as such a lower EAPI should have no meaning for
19 anything. Portage supports a welldefined set of EAPI values. The fact
20 that these are based on numbers is because humans like that, portage
21 however needs just see whether that particular version is supported. The
22 portage api should expose the EAPI version of an ebuild, and tools could
23 then map this against their own set of supported EAPI versions. And
24 perhaps also portage could have an api identifier that the tools could
25 also check against.
28 > In this example, say portage's EAPI is at 2, but my tool only handles
29 > EAPI 0, there is no way to set this in portage so I get EAPI 0 results.
30 > So perhaps we need this implemented as well.
31
32 The first thing would be to just refuse functioning on ebuilds with an
33 unsupported EAPI version. Portage does not itself have an EAPI version.
34 It has a list of supported ebuild EAPI values. Those would in that case
35 be ["1", "2", "3"].
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze