From: Johannes Fahrenkrug <jfa@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:54:46
1 tvali wrote:
2
3 >I will consider what you sayd about db app design.
4 >
5 >Anyway, i usually try to keep tables more dynamic and look at task at
6 >hand, trying to make tables specially for it. When i tested
7 >normalizing, i got about 60 tables where i had 5 without normalizing.
10 I'm not a Gentoo dev, but a programmer who deals with software and db
11 design issues every day.
12 Normalizing your data structures keeps them - and the apps that use them
13 - flexible.
14
15 Of course a table with fields like "customernr, customername, item1,
16 item2, item3" is easier to create and smaller
17 than one table for the customers and one for items. But what if there's
18 a 4th and a 5th item? You have to change
19 your table and every place in your app that uses it (which should only
20 be one).
21
22 I assume you're also not too fond of design patterns because some
23 require you to create 5 classes for something you could do with one ;-)...
24
25 - Johannes.
29 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list