From: capitalista <capitalista@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Bugzilla Bug 112779: New and Improved Way to Handle /etc/portage
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:58:05
1 On 11/18/05, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
2 > Feedback? Well, I don't like it mainly. :)
3 >
4 > This makes portage go looking in two different locations for
5 > overrides; I know from looking through the code,
6 > /etc/portage/package.* overrides the includes, but users won't.
7 >
8 > Configuration in two seperate locations of the same thing is usually a
9 > bad idea (exempting global configuration, user configuration, which
10 > this is not). It's not intuitive, mainly.
11 >
12 > I'd argue for extending the existing files syntax rather then this
13 > tbh, tag in a source command makes a bit more sense to me.
14 >
15 > Plus side, with a source command, you just comment it out and you've
16 > disabled that import. With your solution, have to remove the file
17 > from the directory.
18
19 Is /etc/portage/includes really necessary? In my bug I said that a
20 possibility could be for /etc/portage/package.* directories. zmedico
21 coded it up so that it would be /usr/portage/includes/kde/ (yes, I
22 like using kde as an example). What about just allowing for
23 /usr/portage/kde?
24
25 When we were discussing using a source command in #gentoo-portage, a
26 lot of it went over my head, but it seemed to me that would just
27 create extra steps in the way of making a directory act like
28 /etc/portage. And, moving/adding/deleting directories/files and
29 letting Portage sort it out seems more intuitive to me than imports
30 and whatnot. If you know what /etc/portage is for, I don't think my
31 idea is going to confuse people that much.
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list