From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Display of keyword in emerge : code proposal
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:30:03
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:47:40 +0100
2 jb benoit <benoitj@×××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote:
5 >
6 > >- Doesn't work with binpkgs (though that's probably also a problem in
7 > >getmaskingstatus() itself)
8 > >- there is more than keyword and p.mask for masking (profiles)
9 > >- the function name is misleading (you're not checking the actual
10 > >masking status)
11 > >- you don't check for non-~arch and package.mask'ed packages
12 > >- you don't check for non-$ARCH ACCEPT_KEYWORDS/package.keywords
13 > >entries
14 > >- other semantic issues I' not going to repeat
15 > >- completely useless without docs.
19 > If this can help, i'll respond to some of your question :
20 > My aims is very different to the one of getmaskingstatus().
21
22 Not really, you basically just want to ignore parts of the local config,
23 that's all.
24
25 > I don't have to check everywere for the status :
26 > The package which status I'm searching were already checked by
27 > getmaskingstatus().
28 > This is very important.
29
30 Wrong. getmaskingstatus() doesn't decide if a package is masked
31 (gvivsible() does that), it only checks for possible reasons.
32 And if this should be considered for inclusion you *have* to check for
33 all possible masks (though with profiles this gets tricky).
34
35 > The only 2 thinks I implemented was to search :
36 >
37 > if the package beeing checked is an unstable version,
38 > which can be done only by looking at the supported keywords in the
39 > ebuild.
40
41 Again wrong. Example:
42 - ebuild foo has KEYWORDS="~x86"
43 - my system has ARCH="amd64"
44 - in package.keywords I have a line "foo ~x86"
45 So while this package isn't even marked as "testing" for my arch your
46 patch would treat it as "stable" (at least that's how I would interpret
47 the output). This example is rather common.
48
49 > if the package beeing checked is a masked version.
50 > I only need to check is the package was masked in packages.mask,
51 > don't mind the reason for which it's now unmasked.
52
53 I didn't say anything about checking why it's unmasked, maybe you
54 misunderstood the following comment:
55 "you don't check for non-~arch and package.mask'ed packages"
56 What I mean is when a package is marked stable but in package.mask, your
57 patch simply ignores that (instead of adding a "M" status).
58
59 > If you thinks this can be usefull, I can made the corection needed.
60 > If you think this is just a bunch of trash, just tell me to forget,
61 > but i'll miss this feature.
62
63 Well, not trash, but it has a ton of semantic issues (likely more than
64 just the few I posted above) to resolve first making this much more
65 complicated than you probably think.
66 That's probably not important for you or 90% of all users, but if we
67 add such a feature it has to work for at least 98% of all users
68 (ideally of course for 100%).
69
70 Marius
75 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
76 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.