From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Plausible idea for GLEP 19?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 05:34:13
1 Mikey wrote:
2 > I have been emailing the published addresses for GLEP 19 for 2 months now
3 > with no success. I am very interested in any ideas or projects that might
4 > help gentoo be more server friendly, in an "enterprise" environment, for
5 > lack of a better term.
6 >
7 > I have an idea towards "stabilizing" portage for production environments,
8 > but I am not knowledgeable enough about portage to know if it would even be
9 > plausible. If this is the wrong place to ask this, please feel free to
10 > point me in a better direction.
11
12 Check the archives for gentoo-dev and gentoo-server, several
13 implementation plans have been presented in the not-so-distant past.
14 However everyone seems to have a slightly different goal he wants to
15 achieve, so maybe the best would be for people to make their goals very
16 clear.
17
18 > Basically, add a new value for "FEATURES". For lack of a better name, call
19 > it "sticky".
20 >
21 > FEATURES="sticky"
22 >
23 > If this flag is present in make.conf:
24 >
25 > 1) emerge --sync does only updates, not deletes (don't ditch old ebuilds).
26
27 No point, would rather add a RSYNC_OPTS var finally instead, which gives
28 the same functionality (and much more).
29
30 > 2) Implement a new revision numbering scheme for ebuilds, -sX. Similar to
31 > -rX, but for glsa updates only. It could be an abbreviation for sticky,
32 > security, or stable, whatever you want.
33 >
34 > For example if I am currently running mysql-4.0.25, the only candidate an
35 > emerge -u would consider would be mysql-4.0.25-s1, mysql-4.0.25-s2, etc....
36 > In other words, emerge considers only -sX in its upgrade calculations,
37 > instead of -rX, and only considers the same version.
38
39 No way. No visible benefit (you know about glep 14 / glsacheck, right?)
40 and tons of issues (redundant ebuilds, ordering screwups, ...)
41
42 > 3) Package maintainers could create duplicate ebuilds for security-only
43 > related revisions to packages, some other team could maintain them, this be
44 > somehow automated, or this could be left up to the users to maintain
45 > through their own overlays. My idea is fuzzy here...
46
47 No chance you get people to agree on something that will bloat the tree
48 without any real benefit. Mind that we already revbump packages for
49 security updates.
50
51 > Plausible?
52
53 No, this includes way too many changes to core functions (version
54 comparison, resolver) with no visible benefit (from my POV). In case you
55 haven't done so already take a good look at glep 14 and glsa-check
56 (which implements the least-invasive update algorithm you seem to be after).
57
58 Marius
59 --
60 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list