From: Nimish Pachapurkar <npac@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] RPM build changes
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:48:51
1 On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 01:55 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 16:05 -0700, Nimish Pachapurkar wrote:
3 > > Hello All,
4 > >
5 > > I have been fiddling with Portage for a few weeks now. Recently, I was
6 > > trying to get the RPM creation with ebuild to work a little better. I
7 > > noticed that currently emerge does not support building RPMs, but ebuild
8 > > does.
9 > >
10 > > I have added some code to emerge that can build RPM for a package and
11 > > all its dependencies. It will optionally merge the package to the system
12 > > or just build an RPM. I am basically making this work very similar to
13 > > the --buildpkg and --buildpkgonly options.
14 > >
15 > > I am using --buildrpm (-r) and --buildrpmonly (-R) options currently for
16 > > these two tasks. However, if those two short options are reserved for
17 > > some other purpose, I am fine with changing them. (If so, please suggest
18 > > different short options).
19 > >
20 > > If this functionality is likely to be useful to other people also, I
21 > > would love to submit a patch.
22 > >
23 > > I think I have somewhat older version of portage. Which version should I
24 > > build the patch against, if I have to?
27 > 2.1 is in a feature freeze right now. Everybody is trying to tidy up
28 > existing functionality in preparation for 2006.1 But that would of
29 > otherwise been the branch of seen it committed to. probably best to
30 > give it a few weeks and revisit.
33 Sure, I will do that.
34
35 > rpm support however needs more than a few emerge switches. The existing
36 > package itself of rpm in the tree has a few problems and really needs a
37 > maintainer. Also portage's auto spec generation is on the side of far
38 > to basic to really be useful.
41 I have realized that already. I created a small tool in Python myself
42 using gentoolkit to get RPM-style list of first-level (or direct)
43 dependencies based on USE flags dynamically. It has been working well
44 for most of the cases. Unfortunately, I did not find a clean way to use
45 Portage dependency parsing. I could not find a way to get just the first
46 level dependencies without resolving them to specific ebuild files.
47
48 I also had to solve the SLOT problem since RPM will not let you install
49 two packages with the same name at the same time.
50
51 > A while ago a user Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m@×××.net> and myself
52 > discussed in semi detail a lot of the problems surrounding rpm support
53 > and later he sent me some patches that interpolated nicely with the
54 > existing rpm based distros. I mirrored those patches and they are
55 > all tagged with the names of the portage-rpm-*.patch
56 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patch_overlay/sys-apps/portage/
57 >
58 > You may find some of those patches inspirational to your work.
59 >
60 > good luck.
63 I looked at the patches briefly. I think the most interesting piece was
64 the treatment of config files based on PROTECTED_DIRS flag.
65
66 Thanks for your help.
67
68 > --