From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] precisions on installed packages' dependencies
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 01:01:15
1 On 3/22/20 5:38 PM, michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > Still in the process of improving my solver (and make it a usable tool), I need to have a better idea on how installed packages should be managed.
5
6 Great!
7
8 > I didn't find anything on that topic in the PMS (if I've missed it, I'm sorry).
9 > Could you confirm/correct my following understanding:
10 > 1. installed packages that are still in the portage tree can be unmerged/updated without any restriction (as specified in their .ebuild)
11
12 True.
13
14 > 2. installed packages that are not in the portage tree can only be kept as is or unmerged
15
16 Installed packages may also implement pkg_config and pkg_info phases
17 that can be executed via emerge --config and emerge --info.
18
19 > 3. before removing a library, "ebuild unmerge" always checks if it is used by another package: this means that installed packages' dependencies are never broken.
20
21 That's true if the package is removed via emerge --depclean, but emerge
22 --unmerge does not account for dependencies.
23
24 Also, it's possible for dependencies of installed packages to be
25 temporarily broken by upgrades. In cases like this, the breakage will
26 eventually be resolved by a rebuild (which occurs automatically for slot
27 operator := deps), upgraded, or by emerge --depclean (which removes
28 unneeded packages).
31 > Many thanks!
32 > Michael
35 Thanks,