From: tvali <qtvali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] search functionality in emerge
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:18:25
1 2008/11/24 René 'Necoro' Neumann <lists@××××××.eu>
2
3 > What you mentioned for the filesystem might be a nice thing (actually I
4 > started something like this some time ago [1] , though it is now dead
5 > ;)), but it does not help in the index/determine changes thing. It is
6 > just another API :).
9 My thoughline is that when this FS is mounted, it's *only *portage dir - so
10 having this FS mounted, changes are all noticed, because you do all changes
11 in that FS. Anyway, when you unmount it and remount, some things might go
12 wrong and that's what I'm thinking about ...but that's not a big problem.
13
14 Perhaps the "index after sync" is sufficient for most parts of the
15 > userbase - but esp. those who often deal with their own local overlays
16 > (like me) do not want to have to re-index manually - esp. if re-indexing
17 > takes a long time. The best solution would be to have portage find a)
18 > THAT something has been changed and b) WHAT has been changed. So that it
19 > only has to update these parts of the index, and thus do not be sth
20 > enerving for the users (remind the "Generate Metadata" stuff (or
21 > whatever it was called) in older portage versions, which alone seemed to
22 > take longer than the rest of the sync progress)
23 >
24 > Regards,
25 > René
26 >
27 > [1] https://launchpad.net/catapultfs
41 tvali
42
43 Kuskilt foorumist: http://www.cooltests.com - kui inglise keelt oskad.
44 Muide, üle 120 oled väga tark, üle 140 oled geenius, mingi 170 oled ju mingi
45 täica pea nagu prügikast...