From: Gustavo Barbieri <barbieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Current portage well designed, but badly used
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:22:46
1 On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:44:50 +0000 (GMT), Ed Grimm
2 <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
4 >
5 > > Some packages use numbering version padded with zero, that's good to
6 > > list with shell functions, but it's bad because you can't change them
7 > > to numbers and them back to string. For example:
8 > > mail-mta/nullmailer-1.00_rc7-r4. If you Convert it to integers, it
9 > > becomes 1.0 and you can't map back to the ebuild.
10 >
11 > It's worse than that. They're not always integers. It's safest to
12 > treat version numbers as strings as much as possible; when one needs to
13 > break them into integer portions, do this for comparison only, and save
14 > the original. Finally, a number of packages would require that you
15 > provide a mechanism for determining all version numbers that aren't
16 > strictly numeric. Openssl, with its \d+.\d+.\d+[a-z] versions is easy.
17 > hddtemp, with its alpha/beta tags, is doable but tedious.
18
19 I did a PackageVersion class that parses these sections using a
20 regular expression following the package naming policy. I don't send
21 the code since I'll need to recode it, my XFS lost many data after a
22 power failure :( But I have the bytecode if you want to test it or
23 help me to get the .py back.
27 > There may be others which are more problematic. I haven't seen Gentoo
28 > using them, but many kernels are distributed with -[a-z][a-z]\d+
29 > versions, which indicate which alternate maintainer managed the
30 > additional patches beyond the standard kernel version - which is newer,
31 > -mm5 or -bk15? The world may never know. (It's only determinate for
32 > specific kernel versions, and frequently it's an apples and lemonade
33 > comparison, as they don't address the same issues.)
34
35 Gentoo uses separated kernel sources, I use Con Kolivas source, it's
36 ck-sources in the tree.
39 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
41 Computer Engineer 2001 - UNICAMP
42 GPSL - Grupo Pro Software Livre