From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [rfc] variable naming for marking binaries as QA ignorable
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:46:32
1 On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 09:21 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
2 > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:46:25 -0500
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sunday 05 March 2006 19:48, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
6 > > > This could be done via the profiles, perhaps - package.qa, something
7 > > > like package.mask/use/keywords:
8 > >
9 > > i hate such things ... imo this information should stay in the ebuild
10 > > and nowhere else ...
11 >
12 > I was thinking that the data would be "owned" by the QA team rather
13 > than the package maintainers. I appreciate your pov, however.
14
15 That is a good point. Sadly I'd say I do not trust a large portion of
16 our maintainers to do the right thing and not abuse the variable in the
17 long run simply because they do not know how to fix a pkg properly.
18
19 vs say exporting env variables all over the place (bloating ebuilds
20 even more) a single file does offer quite a few advantages. In addition
21 a single file could be directly parsed by the scanelf util and be
22 simply told to ignore the additional QA checks using fnmatch() for
23 paths or so. It would also provide an easy overview of whats messed up
24 in the tree.
25
26 shrug...
29 [snip]
30
31 > Heh - here's another idea for you to hate:
32 >
33 > QA_OVERRIDE="EXECSTACK=...
34 > x86? ( TEXTRELS=... )"
35