From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] dispatch-conf
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:29:55
1 On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:47, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote: [Wed Jun 01 2005, 02:38:51PM CDT]
3 >
4 > > Dear all,
5 > > Is dispatch-conf still "barely-maintained", meaning that nobody is
6 > > really all that familiar with the code? Agriffis has suggested that we
7 > > split dispatch-conf out of portage and either put it into gentoolkit or
8 > > make it its own package, and see if we can get some help
9 > > with maintaining it.
10 >
11 > Brian tells me that the symlink bug is fixed in ~arch, and that he
12 > doesn't object to breaking it out of portage. Any other thoughts?
13
14 It's not fixed as far as I know and I've been the one fixing bugs with
15 dispatch-conf and I just came across that bug the other day. To confirm we're
16 talking about the same thing:
17
18 myfile (regular file)
19 ._cfg0000_myfile (symlink to otherfile)
20
21 After running dispatch-conf and choosing to "use new", myfile will be a
22 regular file holding the same contents as otherfile.
23
24 As for splitting it out, I'd say either both or neither. As it stands now,
25 etc-update has more bugs (mostly usability) filed against it than
26 dispatch-conf does. It'd be nice to have dispatch-conf become the
27 recommended. This could still happen if they were to be split out though.
28 We'd just need a virtual/cfg-updater or something that they both provide and
29 just make portage depend on it.
30
31 Regards,
32 Jason Stubbs