From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] dispatch-conf
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:51:25
1 On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:29:24AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > It's not fixed as far as I know and I've been the one fixing bugs with
3 > dispatch-conf and I just came across that bug the other day. To confirm we're
4 > talking about the same thing:
5 >
6 > myfile (regular file)
7 > ._cfg0000_myfile (symlink to otherfile)
8 >
9 > After running dispatch-conf and choosing to "use new", myfile will be a
10 > regular file holding the same contents as otherfile.
11 >
12 > As for splitting it out, I'd say either both or neither. As it stands now,
13 > etc-update has more bugs (mostly usability) filed against it than
14 > dispatch-conf does. It'd be nice to have dispatch-conf become the
15 > recommended. This could still happen if they were to be split out though.
16 > We'd just need a virtual/cfg-updater or something that they both provide and
17 > just make portage depend on it.
18 Hmm. I was just about to argue that we need at least one bundled with
19 portage, but the thing is, we don't really.
20
21 virtual seems like slight overkill, but is the proper route...
22 ~brian