From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] making the tree depend on portage
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:53:19
1 On Wednesday 21 December 2005 01:57, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Reasoning on checking all system atoms is that other groups are just as
4 > > likely to need the functionality as we are. Combining that with how
5 > > rarely versions are actually updated for system packages, it shouldn't
6 > > cause any more bother to users than it needs to.
7 >
8 > Well, that approach has one major problem: it won't help for profile
9 > changes (like the mess with the cascaded profiles).
10
11 Making the tree DEPEND on a specific portage version won't help either. If the
12 user doesn't have a profile, they have no ARCH or other important things
13 which means they can't use emerge.
14
15 > Also I don't see what "system" has to do with handling the tree itself, and
16 > for anything else people can add dependencies, or am I missing something
17 > here?
18
19 Doing it via system is more generic with no loss in functionality that I can
20 see. As I said above, the only time that not doing it in system would be
21 useful is if system itself is not available but profile problems imply that
22 one can't emerge anyway.
25 Jason Stubbs
26 --
27 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list