From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] the refactoring of emerge, continued... (was PATCH: refactor emerge spinner (#102073))
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:42:07
1 warnera6 wrote:
2 >
3 > It was my understanding that large patches to portage were not to
4 > receive great consideration due to just that, regressions and bugs. Why
5 > break something that is proven? I will agree that emerge is a huge
6 > piece, I've torn it apart more than once. However it currently does the
7 > job, so I don't see a point in rewriting it unless there is : a) an
8 > immediate benefit for users, and b) some sort of way to gaurantee a
9 > problem free update.
10 >
11 > I don't see a), they get prettier code to look at, but I wouldn't want
12 > people writing code against emerge.
13 > b) is hard to do, even if it's just function and variable re-organizing,
14 > it's 2000 lines of code that has a lot of interaction and there are
15 > going to be bugs.
18 a) Probably not much benefit, unless it helps us to recognize and fix subtle bugs (not sure if there are any, in emerge at least).
19
20 b) Like I said, based on my analysis, I believe it can be done quickly and painlessly, without regressions.
21
22 > I just don't see the worth of it. Why rewrite the front-end when the
23 > backend isn't done?
26 Again, no benefit unless it helps to fix bugs. I want to emphasize that I have not suggested a "rewrite" per se, but only a quick reorganization.
27
28 > Not to mention you can upgrade the code here, and then upgrade it again
29 > to the new portage API in 2.1, since I would guess many calls are being
30 > refactored and rewritten to be object oriented.
31 >
32 > In the end nothing I say really matters, if you want to do the
33 > refactoring I certainly can't stop you, I just don't think it's worth it
34 > to rewrite at this time ;)
35
36 I certainly don't want to it if there's no benefit. ;-)
37
38 Zac
39 --
40 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list