From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] blech... (multijob/multiprocessing work-around for cygwin)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 03:15:29
1 On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 01:05:35PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 24 September 2012 06:25:35 Gregory M. Turner wrote:
3 > > On cygwin, there is a problem with bi-directional pipe support in bash.
4 > >
5 > > I used to solve this with an ugly reversion in portage and an
6 > > ultra-simple stubbification patch for multiprocessing.eclass (both
7 > > serialized everything).
8 > >
9 > > However, this really sucked for numerous reasons, including the obvious
10 > > one: it makes stuff slow as hell.
11 >
12 > if cygwin sucks, it doesn't get parallel jobs. add stubs to the end of the
13 > file to disable parallel support.
14 >
15 > if is_cygwin ; then
16 > numjobs() { return 1; }
17 > multijob_init() { return 0; }
18 > ...etc...
19 > fi
20 >
21 > interleaving the cygwin logic otherwise makes it unmaintainable
22
23 Seconded; if cygwin environment sucks for this, just suppress the
24 parallelization for it. Better to be working then not, plus I doubt
25 cygwin users are going to notice a huge diff in performance. :)
26
27 ~harring