From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Add a couple new warnings to QA check
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:16:03
1 Hey all.
2
3 I'd like to add two warnings to the QA GCC warning message reporter for
4 GCC 4.2.
5
6 The first is a new warning that is given when GCC makes an optimization
7 assuming that overflow for operations on signed ints is undefined, as
8 per the standard. Apparently a lot of code assumes that it will wrap
9 instead. The reason for this warning is the new -fstrict-overflow flag
10 that is enabled at >= -O2. The warning will only appear with the
11 -Wstrict-overflow flag set, but it is enabled by -Wall so it will be
12 seen pretty often.
13
14 The other is actually a warning already present in <=4.1. 4.2 now
15 forbids function casts and will actually generate a runtime abort in the
16 code if they're used. This is bad because the code will compile fine
17 but then segfault when executed :(. openssl is a good example (bug
18 #158324). This warning is always reported, even without -Wall. I hope
19 this check will help identify packages that might not be GCC 4.2 ready.
23 where to now? if i had to guess
24 dirtyepic gentoo org i'm afraid to say antarctica's next
25 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)

misc-functions.sh.diff text/x-patch