From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:49:05
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:26:32 -0500 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 | Well I bought this bug-spray and it only kills 99% of the bugs in my
4 | home, so I guess I should scrap it and work on something better that
5 | kills 100% of bugs?
6
7 Pff, bad analogy. Better to say "should I spend time installing this
8 device which kills greenfly, or should I spend slightly more time
9 installing a similar device which kills off all kinds of nasty bugs?".
10
11 | If this helps stem system breakage by repairing a number of broken
12 | library deps, how is that bad? Because it doesn't adhere to Ciaran's
13 | ideal feature standards?
14
15 Because it's a significant amount of wasted work. Solving the problem
16 properly isn't much harder, however, and it will avoid having to keep
17 around the proposed broken implementation in the future for
18 compatibility with legacy apps.
19
20 | > | So in regards to reverse dependency tracking, do you have a
21 | > | solution/advice or just useless criticism? Please attempt to be
22 | > | constructive here.
23 | >
24 | > Sure. My advice is to scrap the current idea and redo it to take
25 | > into account things which are not just ELF-related.
26 |
27 | Bricklayers build walls, one brick at a time.
28
29 And if you're continuing the bad analogies, then bricklayers put down
30 bricks where they are needed, and do not randomly chuck bricks into
31 place in arbitrary locations because they happen to have a brick handy.
32 Also, building a wall out of pebbles and sand isn't a very good idea...
35 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (The one that looks before leaping)
36 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
37 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm