From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] user-defined classes
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 03:03:51
1 On Sun, 2004-02-22, 00:59:16 -0800, in <1077440356.1407.158.camel@big_squirt.dol-sen.ca>, Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net> wrote:
2 > --include {world,system,myclass1,myclass2,etc.} for portage to add the
3 > package to whichever list(s) are specified. If myclass is not found,
4 > then create it and add the pkg. The devs may of course want to exclude
5 > world(duplication) and system from the acceptable list(used as known
6 > values for example).
7
8 Bonzer idea, mate! Though as a semantics suggestion, I propose
9 "--add". Portage and the Gentoo initscripts are sufficiently similar
10 that we may want to maintain the consistency.
11
12 In fact, such a change might help to solve some of the FHS issues which
13 were brought up recently.
14
15 /var/db/pkg/ => /var/lib/portage/class/<classname>/
16 /var/cache/edb/world => /var/lib/portage/class/world/contents
17 /etc/make.profile/packages => /var/lib/portage/class/system/contents
18
19 This may be a difficult change to make right away, due to the many
20 hard-coded references to /var/db, but is definitely worth keeping in mind
21 for portage-ng.
24 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
25 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
26 --Ghost in the Shell