From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] chunking up portage
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:06:52
1 On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 04:05:00 -0600
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hola all,
5 > Just a nudge since we've discussed this before, but likely upcoming
6 > changes to emerge-webrsync got me thinking it's probably worthwhile
7 > having a look at what can be chunked out from mainline portage as a
8 > seperate release.
9 >
10 > Right now, emerge-webrsync is an easy target; repoman... not so much
11 > so, but could be done. Others?
12
13 Well, I'm not so much for ripping every little 5liner out of portage and
14 put it into its own package. emerge-webrsync is such a thing I'd rather
15 keep inline (should be subject for integration into emerge --sync
16 instead), same with etc-update for example. Yes, it might be a bit
17 annoying having to wait for a portage release to push a small change
18 out, OTOH it will make things a lot more confusing for ordinary users
19 IMO.
20
21 Marius
26 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
27 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.