From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] RFC: Binary dependency tracking
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:13:01
1 On Wednesday 06 April 2005 00:38, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
2 > Well, I've glossed over the dlopen() issues for now as I'm not sure the
3 > best way to handle that or even if it needs to be addressed. How often
4 > does something dlopen() a file if it doesn't know the exact filename at
5 > compile time? It seems unlikely to me that this kind of dependency
6 > would be introduced which wouldn't be uniquely satisfied by the
7 > RDEPEND. Does anyone know of a case where we'd do something like:
8
9 In general dlopen is used for plugins. Dlopen allows to define library
10 requirements at runtime. Often these requirements are optional in the
11 case of plugins and the like. With plugins the name of the plugin is
12 often unknown. For required dependencies where the name is allready known
13 in advance it doesn't really make sense to use dlopen which is a lot more
14 complex than a normal link.
15
16 If you look at kde it massively uses plugins. One of the tricks that is
17 played is caused by the fact that the kde and qt libraries are massive
18 (take quite a time to load) and shared by most kde applications. The
19 trick is then to run a process (kdeinit) that is allready loaded and have
20 this process fork and let the fork load the actual application as plugin.
21 This result in faster load times even (especially) in absense of
22 prelinking.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze