From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:19:45
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: George Shapovalov [mailto:george@g.o]
3 > Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 11:40 AM
4 > To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry
6 > Was: Updated Portage project page
9 > On Saturday 06 December 2003 17:44, Jason Stubbs wrote:
10 > > It's not getting ahead of things! That's a requirement that's not
11 > > covered yet. "Package definition should be powerful but
12 > simple with a
13 > > small learning curve" or something to that effect.
14 >
15 > Hm, isn't it a bit too late to change ebuild format, with us
16 > sitting on 7000+
17 > ebuilds? The only reasonable way to do so is to make it structurally
18 > compatible and create a converter tool. Even then this is a
19 > major endeavor
20 > that would require a very good reason (nothing short of
21 > deadly limitations of
22 > the present format, which I woudn't say is the case).
23 > Furthermore, this would
24 > require wide publicity and even votes if we do not want to
25 > alienate users, as
26 > this is the change that definitely will affect them (take a
27 > look at number of
28 > new ebuild submissions ;)).
29
30 There's another requirement! "The package system needs to be backward
31 compatible or have a compatibility layer for existing ebuilds" or
32 something to that effect. Having to rewrite them all just for a package
33 manager migration would not only be insane but would be, dare I say,
34 impossible - by the time they are all rewritten, they'd all have become
35 obsolete. If there is backward compatibility, they should be able to be
36 phased out in less than a year (assuming the format is in fact
37 replaced).
38
39 > But then I don't really see the problem with present format.
40 > bash involvment
41 > is really necessary only during the pkg_* and src_* steps,
42 > when a lot of
43 > other stuff is going to happen anyway, so this is hardly a
44 > bottleneck. To get
45 > definitions of various vars and dependency information out is
46 > trivial and can
47 > be done in anything. That bash is involved in this step at present is
48 > unfortunate, but there were reasons for it and it definitely
49 > may be undone
50 > even for the present portage.
51
52 Personally, I don't think the current ebuild format is so bad either
53 while the dev team was relatively small. But there are a number of
54 places that mistakes can be made making for bad QA. I think it does make
55 sense to split the file into the pkg_*/src_* stuff and the various vars
56 as per current requirements spec. I would also prefer to see the
57 pkg_*/src_* stuff abstracted so that an ebuild is never a security risk.
58 ATM, pkg_postinst is the worst that I can think of from a security
59 viewpoint.
60
61 Regards,
62 Jason Stubbs