From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Running commands after a merge (via /etc/portage/package.hooks)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:47:03
1 On Wed, September 22, 2004 6:02 am, Elfyn McBratney said:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I'm about to start working on a new portage feature that allows you to run
8 > commands (basically, bash syntax) before a merge and after a successful
9 > merge.
10 >
11 > (At work, we have a lot of virtual hosts with auto-generated vhosts.conf
12 > files
13 > for apache, with configuration data stored in XML files and/or databases,
14 > and
15 > having them updated automatically on apache upgrades would ease
16 > maintenance
17 > burdens. :)
18 >
19 > What I would like to do is add a new file to /etc/portage - package.hooks
20 > (open to suggestions on better names ;), which would contain
21 > category/package
22 > atoms and shell commands, ala:
23 >
24 > [atom] 'before' '(' shell code ')' or
25 > [atom] 'after' '(' shell code ')' or
26 >
27 > e.g.
28 >
29 > net-www/apache after apache-update-vhosts
30 > net-www/apache after (foo && do-bar || die "do-bar failed")
31
32 Could this kind of syntax be added also
33 net-www/apache after |mail admin@localhost webmaster@localhost -s
34 "Apache updated by cronjob, just letting you know how it went"
35
36 Basicly, add the ability to pipe it places
39 Joseph Booker
40 joe @ irc.neoturbine.net
41 jj110888 @ irc.freenode.net
45 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list