From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] ExtractKernelVersion
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:41:59
1 On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:16:24 -0500
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The kernel ( along with QA ) has reported that the portage generated
5 > $KV is sometimes quite horribly wrong. They would like us to retire
6 > the kernel generated $KV, ebuilds that need $KV should inherit
7 > linux-info, unless they are themselves a kernel-module, in which case
8 > they should inherit linux-mod.
9 >
10 > This also consolidates all the kernel version parsing nastiness into 1
11 > place ( the eclass ) which means less work for us!
12 >
13 > The QA team will run testing against the tree to locate incorrect uses
14 > of $KV, granted the KV value is probably wrong right now for some
15 > users, we still need to migrate them over.
16 >
17 > We may need to retain the $KV variable for EAPI 0 portage, but I think
18 > that could actually depend on how bad the migration really is.
19
20 Hmm, I thought we removed that crap long ago already...
21 Let it die I say.
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.