From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:58:45
1 Paul Bredbury wrote:
2 >> There is a third option. Reporting an error.
3 >
4 > But it is not an error. The answer is known to be False, through the
5 > application of logic.
6
7 There are really 3 states here
8
9 Either you have enough information to prove something true; OR
10 you have enough information to prove something false; OR
11 you don't have enough information to prove anything.
12
13 In this case there is no USE information available for PROVIDE'd
14 packages, which was your original complaint.
15
16 Just because you can't prove that
17 built_with_use <provided pkg> foo == true
18
19 doesn't mean you have enough information to prove that
20 built_with_use <provided pkg> foo == false
21
22 Becauase there IS a third state, it's call the "we don't have enough
23 information to prove anything" state, which is what we have here.
24
25 The package may very well work fine, the package may not, there is no
26 way to tell. Thats our whole point.
27
28 Hell, SpanKY already filed the real bug, which is requesting support for
29 provided packages so that you can provide a package with USE flags set,
30 therefore solving this whole "lack of information" issue.
31
32 Because you see, that is what the real issue is, a lack of information.
33 --
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list