From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The purpose of USE flags
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:10:59
1 On 12/17/03 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2
3 > Hmmm, I didn't get this email.
4 >
5 > On Tuesday 16 December 2003 21:59, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > > One problem I see with the tree represenations (and a flag being
7 > > present in multiple leafs) is an ordering probem. E.g. we have
8 > > use.gui.gnome.esd (as esd is part of gnome) and use.sound.esd. Now a
9 > > user has "-use.gui.gnome +use.sound", is esd enabled then or not?
10 >
11 > Personally, I think that flags being present in multiple leafs of a
12 > tree would be a bad thing. It adds unneeded complexity on the dev side
13 > and confusion on the user side. With a well designed tree, it
14 > shouldn't occur anyway. To take your example, use.gui.gnome.esd
15 > shouldn't exist because esd is not a gui.
16
17 Hmm, but AFAIK esd is considered a part of the Gnome desktop, same for
18 arts/KDE. So if I (as a user) disable gnome I'd expect that esd is
19 disabled too. Actually it's the same problem we have with categories,
20 things can fit in multiple branches.
21
22 Marius
27 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
28 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.