From: George Lober <glober@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage feature request
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 05:17:29
1 Daniel Heemann wrote:
2
3 >On Thursday 27 October 2005 03:41, George Lober wrote:
6 >>I don't know if this has been asked before, but I would like to make a
7 >>request to add an audible warning to portage. Specifically what I would
8 >>like portage to do is to give an audible notice when it stops due to an
9 >>error, or when it completes its full job. This would be implemented as
10 >>an option switch to turn the warnings on, unless the devs. feel like I
11 >>do that it would be a very usefull feature that most people would prefer
12 >>turned on by default. My suggestion would be to have a long extended
13 >>beep indicating a stop due to an error and maybe four or five very short
14 >>beeps (shorter than the ones one gets as a warning to read something)
15 >>when the job finishes normally. I think this feature would make things a
16 >>lot easier for a lot of people, not having to keep checking on your
17 >>computer to see whats going on all the time.
21 >emerge -u world && beep -l 1000 || beep -l 500 -r 5
26 Thank you and Zac Medico for your replies. The examples show how trivial
27 the solution can be. I do think though that there are less knowledgeable
28 Gentoo users out there (like myself) who aren't Bash programmers or
29 command line wizzes, and don't have the time or inclination to become
30 ones for the sake of something like this, who would appreciate having
31 the function built into Portage. I just thought of this myself and I
32 have been using Gentoo for several years. I think if you present the
33 option to users, they will become aware of the possibility and will end
34 up using it.
35
36 Regards,
37 George Lober