From: Jeffrey Smelser <jsmelser@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-portage-dev] emerge interruption - is it/will it bepossible?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:05:58
1 > On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 07:21, Pavel Vondricka wrote:
2 > > Hi,
3 > > I often would like to continue with a partly done emerge
4 > (e.g. manually
5 > > interrupted compilation or compile failure -because of some
6 > stupid USE flag
7 > > setting, aso.), without emerge starting from the scratch again.
8 > > It is not only "a bad dream at the end of a 12-hour
9 > compilation", but I'd also
10 > > like to just unpack the sources, stop emerge, edit/patch
11 > the sources
12 > > manually, and then let emerge continue and compile and
13 > install it, sometimes.
14 >
15 > > Is it possible with the current emerge or will it be
16 > possible with the future
17 > > portage-ng?
18 >
19 > One easy way to get functionality like this is to "emerge
20 > ccache". Then
21 > restarting merges should used previously-cached compiles and
22 > make things
23 > go a lot faster.
24 >
25 > > What is the meaning of emerge -resume? It never did anything for me.
26
27 I use it a lot for emerge -e world. If it fails for some reason, do a emerge -e --resume world, will pick up where it left off.
28
29 However, it does restart that package itself.. But at least I don't have to recompile the last 50-70 packages I just did.
32 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list