From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: running ebuild in src tree
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:13:05
1 On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 06:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Joakim Tjernlund posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:26:59 +0000 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > No, there can be no copy of sources for what I want. It just gets in the way having to do that.
5 >
6 > ??
7 >
8 > Copying to tmpfs is copying to memory, and copying to memory in /some/ form must occur in ordered to
9 > operate on the files at all, that is, with any build at all, so I don't see the problem, at least if
10 > you're
11 > working on a machine with say 2+ gigs RAM. (There might be problems on a
12 > half-gig RAM machine, but that's not particularly appropriate as a developer machine in any case, these
13 > days, unless you're talking embedded, which you didn't mention.)
14 >
15 > But of course, gentoo/portage lets you do it your way too, as demonstrated by the hacks you posted. =:^)
18 When you are developing SW you do the edit/build cycle often and it is really
19 annoying to copy a big src tree, rebuild everything (as timestamps, deps changes), move to another
20 src to do any debugging etc. Try it on your own development by just copying you src tree every time
21 you want to build, you get very tired of it real soon :)
22
23 Don't get me wrong, portage is a wounderful pkg mgr, I just want to extend its use to be more
24 helpful during development too, without having to do really ugly hacks like I showed you.
25
26 Jocke