From: Boris Vinogradov <no111u3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Ebuild - portage variable names
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 18:14:03
1 I use gentoo about 8 year. I already try to write ebuild for my package but
2 I think it's difficult to everyone who do it in the first time.
3
4 Because ebuild have strange short name for common portage variable such as
5 {P}, {PV}, {PN} etc. Another developers use these modified variables with
6 name and preffix MY, for example {MY_P}, {MY_PV}. I think it isn't readable
7 because everyone who read and write ebuilds sometime may be foget their
8 means.
9
10 I propouse to use human readble variable names for portage variables, such
11 as {PATH} instead {P}, {PACKAGE_N}/{PACKAGE_NAME} instead {PN}, etc...
12 Human isn't a computer who knowns evething point of
13 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html and other
14 portage internals.
15
16 I think it's major for everyone gentoo developer because ebuild is face of
17 portage system and main component of gentoo unique feature.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Boris Vinogradov